Salary $30,076.80 - $40,268.80
Performs work of a moderately technical nature utilizing public relations skills, knowledge and abilities normally acquired prior to assuming the position. The employee is responsible for the inspection or investigation and enforcement of health, safety, nuisance-related and non-construction codes and ordinances, such as those addressing tall weeds and grass, derelict vehicles, as well as other applicable Federal, State or local ordinances, regulations or codes.
- Responsible for code enforcement investigation and follow-up.
- Prepare and present reports and necessary correspondence relating to code enforcement.
- Provide public presentation regarding code abatements.
- Position includes both field work and office work.
- Assist the public by providing appropriate and applicable code section references upon request.
- Write correction notices, letters or other correspondence.
- Enforce the City's Ordinances including, but not limited to, tall weeds and grass, parking on grass, nuisances, ect.
- Properly document violations, including collecting and preserving evidence as appropriate.
- Calculate estimates of abatement costs.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of code enforcement.
- Maintain a professional appearance, bearing and manner at all times, and most particularly when dealing with the citizens who are in violation of one or more code regulations.
- Appropriately respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
- Collect and preserve proper photographic evidence and write complete, thorough and comprehensive reports.
- Efficient computer use is required in many facets of the job.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
- Methods and techniqies of inspection, investigation, and evidence collection, handling, presentation and chain of custody.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Zoning codes and subdivision regulation.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws. codes and regulations.
- Familiarity with general law enforcement techniques.
- Familiarity with photographic equipment.
- Computer operation and typing skills.
Willingness and Ability to:
- Interpret and understand State Statutes and Del City Code of Ordinances and Zoning Ordinances relating to code enforcement issues.
- Conduct and coordinate assigned code enforcement inspections, including the proper documentation and follow-up investigations.
- Prepare reports when requested by the Assistant to the City Manager.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Interpret, explain and enforce City policies and processes.
- Communicate clearly and consisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City departments and City employees as well as citizens and professional contacts.
- Enfroce necessary regulations with firmness, tact and diplomacy.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include the following: walking or standing for extended periods of time and operating assigned equipment.
- Maintain effective audio-visual acumen needed for: making observations; communicating with others; reading and writing; operating assigned equipment.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions; demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
- Maintain a professional appearance and bearing.
- Drive an automobile or pick-up; obtain and maintain a valid Oklahoma State driver's license; possess a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
- Work overtime when required.
- Handle stressful situations, maintaining tact and diplomacy during potentially hostile situations with irate citizens or inquiries from politicians.
- Enforce regulations and ordinances fully and impartially and to maintain good relations with the general public and other City employees.
- Investigate alleged violations while using proper conduct and procedures and issue citations as a last resort.
- Appear in court to testify when necessary.
- Work all year round in all kinds of weather.
Physical requirements are moderate, including operating a motor vehicle, standing and walking on uneven surfaces, climbing stairs and ladders, working outdoors in all seasons and weather, and good vision and sound hearing, corrected or otherwise
- Law enforcement experience considered a plus.
- Conflict resolution training and experience.
Receives direct supervision and consultation from the Assistant to the City Manager.
Employee does not supervise others.
High School/GED education; specialized course work or experience in code enforcement or related fields is desirable. Must become certified Code Enforcement Officer within two (2) years of employment.