Department of Job Listing:
Salary $23,566.40 - $31,574.40
- This is work of a semi-skilled labor and mechanical nature involving the maintenance of the water system and installation and repair of new water services.
- Maintains water distribution system.
- Drives maintenance vehicle and may be assigned to operate equipment such as, but not limited to, backhoe, ditch digging machinery, dump truck, water pumps, boring machines and jackhammer.
- Assists in training new employees in proper work procedures.
- On call nights and weekends in case of emergencies.
- Install and inspect water taps to insure that connections are proper and free from leaks.
- Repair and install water mains and fire hydrants.
- Read water meters.
- May be assigned to work orders from Utility Billing Division.
- Responds to public complaints and assist within City codes.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Minimal Acceptable Qualifications:
- Ability to obtain a Class “D” Water Operators License within six (6) months of employment date.
- Ability to obtain a Class “A” Oklahoma State Commercial Driver License within six (6) months of employment date.
- Must possess a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Physical strength and agility to perform strenuous labor tasks under varying weather conditions, temperature extremes and work long hours.
- Working knowledge of the City’s water network and ability to locate water mains and lines.
- Ability to keep records and make mathematical computations and reports.
- Ability to safely operate trucks and equipment such as backhoe, ditch-digging machinery, water pumps and jackhammers.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, fellow employees and administration.
- Ability to instruct new employees of the proper work procedures.
- Ability to work with toxic substances, such as chlorine.
- Physically capable of performing duties in extreme temperature variances.
- Capable of lifting objects over 50 lbs. at frequent intervals.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to make common sense decisions.
- Ability to pull call on nights and weekends in case of emergencies.
- Responsible for notifying Supervisor of problems in the field.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in construction or pipeline operations.
- Some knowledge of water plant operations.
- Experience in light equipment operations.
- Possession of a Class “C” Oklahoma Water Operators License.
Supervision Given and Received:
- Works under the direction of the Water Line Maintenance Supervisor and/or Crew Chief; however, is required to exercise judgment in performing installation and maintenance of water facilities and making repairs and adjustments to machinery and equipment.