The Planning and Zoning Division includes functions such as Zoning, Comprehensive Planning and Geographic Information Systems. Planning activities guide land use and facilitate new development, while serving as a resource to citizens and other city departments. It is the day to day work of ensuring that new development and redevelopment is done in accordance with adopted regulations, particularly the Planning and Zoning Ordinance and the Comprehensive Plan.
In order to clean up our community and foster positive redevelopment for our citizens, the City of Del City has taken the approach that all community development activities should be coordinated through the Planning and Zoning Division. This philosophy has allowed integration of planning, inspections, permitting, code enforcement, and economic development and has resulted in a number of successful multi-disciplinary, including the Housing Inspection Program and Environmental Court. This work includes functions such as:
- Processing Zoning Clearances for permits and Business Occupancy Applications;
- Updating the Planning and Zoning Ordinance;
- Processing Planning Commission applications (rezoning, lot split, plat, special use permit);
- Providing zoning information to customers;
- Updating the city's Official Zoning Map; and
- Working to ensure compatible land use around Tinker Air Force Base
The Planning and Zoning Division has also responsibility for the City's Stormwater Management activities, including Floodplain Management, Drainage, and Stormwater Quality (shared with Public Works). Combining these functions and assigning them to the Planning Division has allowed for an integrated approach to stormwater management that considers both quality and quantity.
The Department also reviews and participates in the Oklahoma County Hazard Mitigation Plan.