Salary Range$ 35,193.60 - $47,132.80
Performs work of a technical nature utilizing problem-solving skills, knowledge and abilities normally acquired prior to assuming the position. The employee is responsible for supporting the City’s overall redevelopment goals by undertaking investigation and enforcement of a variety of codes, regulations and standards. This position requires extremely well developed judgement and discretion and a commitment to providing excellent customer service, even when dealing with difficult situations.
- Responsible for investigation and enforcement of a variety of codes, regulations and standards, including but not limited to the following subject areas: public nuisance (e.g. tall weeds and grass, miscellaneous junk and trash, derelict vehicles), property maintenance, zoning, sign, and stormwater.
- Under the direction of the Building Official, may assist with the enforcement of certain construction codes.
- Documents property conditions and prepares and delivers notices and correspondence.
- Investigates complaints submitted by community stakeholders, documents potential violations found in the field, uses appropriate judgement to resolve or advance case.
- Oversees the nuisance abatement process, works with contractors and city employees, ensures adequate documentation.
- Works to provide excellent customer service and to deescalate difficult situations; obtains supervisory involvement when necessary.
- Issues citations when appropriate, collects and documents evidence, provides testimony at hearings and trials.
- Attends training and professional development.
- Maintains a professional appearance, bearing and manner at all times.
- Appropriately responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
- Efficiently utilizes technology and computer systems as necessary to complete job duties.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
- Methods and techniques of inspection, investigation, and evidence collection, handling, presentation and chain of custody.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Property maintenance standards and practices.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Photography and mobile and desktop technology and productivity applications.
Willingness and Ability to:
- Apply sound judgement when resolving code enforcement matters in the context of the City’s general redevelopment goals.
- Conduct and coordinate assigned code enforcement inspections, including the proper documentation and follow-up investigations, following management direction and department policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports, assemble documentation and complete research projects.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of Code Enforcement objectives.
- Interpret, explain and enforce City policies and processes.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City departments and City employees as well as citizens and professional contacts.
- Provide excellent customer service, even when presented with difficult or complex situations.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include the following: walking or standing for extended periods of time and operating assigned equipment.
- Maintain effective audio-visual acumen needed for: making observations; communicating with others; reading and writing; operating assigned equipment.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions; demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
- Maintain a professional appearance and bearing.
- Drive an assigned vehicle; obtain and maintain a valid Oklahoma State driver’s license; possess a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Work overtime or irregular hours when required.
- Handle stressful situations, maintaining tact and diplomacy during potentially hostile situations with irate stakeholders.
- Work all year round in all kinds of weather, using appropriate safety equipment as necessary.
Physical requirements are moderate, including operating a motor vehicle, standing and walking on uneven surfaces, climbing stairs and ladders, working outdoors in all seasons and weather, and good vision and sound hearing, corrected or otherwise.
One (1) year of college coursework in Public Administration, Management, Construction Management, or a related field.
Successful work experience in the property maintenance, construction or building maintenance industries.
Successful experience in a high-stress customer service environment.
Supervised by the Planning Director/Assistant Director of Community Development. Receives direction as needed from the Building Official.
Employee does not supervise others.
High School/GED education; specialized course work or experience in code enforcement or related fields is desirable. Must obtain certification as a Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector within one (1) year of hire.