Salary Range - $27,913.60 - $37,648.00
- Work in this classification is skilled in nature, with Operator performing a variety of complex tasks.
- Most of the work is semi-routine, following established policies and procedures, however, a large portion requires initiative and independent judgment concerning techniques and methods by which tasks are to be performed.
- Equipment operation includes, but is not limited to, dump trucks, backhoe-loaders, tractors with brush hog, flail-type mowers, box blade, disc and other gasoline and diesel-powered equipment rated at 40 hp or more.
- Employee is subject to twenty-four (24) hour on-call at the direction of the Supervisor.
- Complies with established work and safety policies and procedures.
- Checks equipment thoroughly before use and reports defects to Supervisor and, upon direction, takes equipment to Fleet Maintenance for service and repairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor adjustments and repairs to equipment in the field.
- Loads, secures, delivers and unloads equipment on various job sites using dump truck and two (2) axle trailer.
- Operates equipment safely and accurately in order to avoid overhead and buried utility lines and various other obstacles which may be encountered.
- Performs a variety of grounds maintenance work; plants, waters and sprays grass, shrubbery, flowers and trees; mows grass using riding or push-type lawnmowers.
- Builds, paints and repairs park benches, playground equipment, guardrails, fences and buildings.
- Removes weeds, trash, snow and other debris from parks, sidewalks, streets and other public areas.
- Uses various types of mowing equipment for Park Maintenance mowing assignments.
- Operates sand truck with spreader in winter months to control ice and snow and at other times to control various types of chemical spills.
- Spreads sand manually in streets and other public areas to control ice, snow, oil, chemical, petroleum and other hazardous spills or leaks.
- Trims or cuts down trees in rights-of-way and other areas which are hazards and hauls away brush, stumps, etc., resulting from clearance work.
- May instruct less experienced workers in proper and safe work procedures and supervise Park Crew Workers and Seasonal Crew Workers under the direction of the Street/Parks Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school or GED
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical computations.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions and directions.
- Skill in operation and use of dump trucks, tractors, mowing equipment and other gasoline and diesel-powered equipment rated at 40 hp or more. Knowledge of capabilities and limitations of said equipment.
- Ability to make minor adjustments and repairs to tools and equipment in the field.
- Skill in operation and use of hand tools, electrically-powered saws, drills, gasoline-powered chain saws, commercial-type weed eaters and other tools related to Park Maintenance functions.
- Knowledge of materials, methods and techniques used in park maintenance and beautification.
- Ability to perform strenuous and physically demanding manual labor for extended periods and under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public, elected or appointed City officials and City employees.
- Ability to use a respirator when required.
- Ability to obtain from the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture certification in pesticide use in the categories of Ornamental and Turf and Public Health within six (6) months of employment.
- Ability to measure, mix and properly apply chemicals relating to insect and weed control and to work alone at night during mosquito abatement program.
- Possession of a valid Class “B” Oklahoma State Commercial Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Ability to carry out assignments with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Experience in preventive maintenance of hand and power tools.
- Two (2) years verifiable experience in operation and use of dump trucks, tractors and various types of mowing equipment.
- Two (2) years experience in municipal park equipment operation
- Two (2) years experience in landscaping, mowing, tree trimming and other related work.
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Street/Parks Supervisor. Operator is subject to review and direction by the Supervisor, but generally performs assigned work with minimal supervision.
The Operator may act as a leadperson overseeing Park Maintenance Crew Workers and Seasonal Crew Workers under the direction of the Street/Parks Supervisor.
Graduation from high school or GED.