Department of Job Listing:
Salary range $28,766.40 - $38,792.00
- Work in this classification is skilled in nature, with Operator performing a variety of complex tasks.
- Most of the work is semi-routine, following established policies and procedures; however, a large portion requires initiative and independent judgment concerning techniques and methods by which tasks are to be performed.
- Equipment operation includes, but is not limited to, dump trucks, backhoe-loaders, tractors with brush hog, flail-type mowers, box blade, disc, and other gasoline and diesel-powered equipment rated at 40 hp or more.
- Employee is subject to twenty-four (24) hour on-call at the direction of the Supervisor.
- Complies with established work and safety policies and procedures.
- Checks equipment thoroughly before use and reports defects to Supervisor.
- Upon direction, takes equipment to Fleet Maintenance for service and repairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor adjustments and repair to equipment in the field.
- Loads, secures, delivers and unloads equipment to various job sites using dump truck and two (2) axle trailer.
- Operates equipment safely and accurately in order to avoid overhead and buried utility lines and various other obstacles which may be encountered.
- Constructs, maintains and repairs streets, approaches, walks, curbs, gutters, parking areas and other public property.
- Pours and finishes concrete.
- Repairs streets and parking areas with asphalt that requires tear-out and relay, overlay and pothole repair.
- Uses vibratory roller on some projects.
- Uses air compressor, asphalt kettle and pour posts on crack sealing projects.
- Uses various types of mowing equipment to perform Street, and assist with, Park Division mowing assignments
- May assist in sign fabrication shop relating to street marking, fabrication and other duties.
- Operates sand truck with spreader in winter months to control ice and snow.
- Spreads sand manually in streets and other areas to control oil, chemical, petroleum and other hazardous spills or leaks.
- Trims or cuts down trees in rights-of-way and other areas which are hazards and hauls away brush, stumps, etc., resulting from clearance work.
Minimal Acceptable Qualifications:
- Ability to read and write and make mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions and directions.
- Skill in operation and use of dump truck, tractors, mowing equipment, backhoe and other gasoline and diesel-powered equipment rated at 40 hp or more.
- Knowledge of capabilities and limitations of said equipment.
- Ability to make minor adjustments and repairs to tools and equipment in the field.
- Skill in operation and use of hand tools, cement tools, electrically powered saws, drills, gasoline-powered chain saws, walk-behind concrete saw, commercial-type weed eaters and other tools related to Street Division functions.
- Knowledge of road building, maintenance and repair procedures.
- Knowledge of drainage system installation and maintenance.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time under extremely adverse weather conditions during any City emergency, and at other times as may be required.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public, elected or appointed City officials and all City employees.
- Ability to use a respirator when required. Possession of a valid Oklahoma State Commercial Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Ability to carry out assignments with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Two (2) years experience in concrete or asphalt construction, maintenance and repair work.
- Two (2) years experience in operation and use of dump trucks, tractors and various types of mowing equipment.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Two (2) years experience in municipal street and park equipment operation.
- One (1) year experience in landscaping, mowing, tree trimming and other related work.
Supervision Given and Received:
- Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Street/Parks Supervisor.
- Operator is subject to review and direction by the Street/Parks Supervisor, but generally performs assigned work with minimal supervision.
- The Operator does not supervise others.